Girls Blazer Badge Boys Blazer Badge

Panoramic School Photos

Click on Images to see Full Size Panoramas

O L Webmaster

THANKS to the generosity of several OLs you can examine 24 high quality panoramic photos of pupils and staff at the Lewes County Grammar Schools (Girls and Boys). The full size panoramas can be accessed by clicking the small images for each year shown below. Members of the Old Lewesians can (and should) use the "Name 4 Faces" facility (on the Members index) to attach "pop-up" names to faces for everyone to see.

The large photos are shown on screen at about the same scale as the original photo. Each photo downloads in a few seconds with broadband. If you are using Windows XP or Vista with Internet Explorer you can move your mouse cursor over faces on the large photo to reveal the "popup" names of pupils, where these are known.

To return from a large image to this page use the "Back" button in the top LEFT corner of the browser window.

Click panoramas below



Girls July 1946

from Jean Hutchins

Girls 1946


Girls July 1949

from Marion Lee

Girls 1949


Girls July 1951

from Valerie Cantell

Girls 1951


Girls July 1953

from Marion Lee

Girls 1953


Girls July 1955

from Jean Siggs

Girls 1955


Girls July 1957

from Miss Mary Austin

Girls 1957


Girls July 1959

from Jean Siggs

Girls 1959


Girls July 1961

from Mary Marriot

Girls 1961


Girls July 1963

from Mary Davey

Girls 1963


Girls July 1965

from Lynda Mears

Girls 1965


Girls March 1967

from Mary Davey

Girls 1967


Girls May 1969

from Mary Davey

Girls 1969


Boys June 1931

from Albert Brown

Boys 1931

Taken in the East Quad with the camera looking south-west towards the staff-room. The old gym is to the right. Rooms 7 to 9 can be seen to the left.


Boys September 1932

from Mel Tayler

Boys 1932

Taken in the East Quad looking north-west with the gym to left and the dining hall to the right.


Boys May 1935

from Jack Chaplin

Boys 1935

Taken in the East Quad looking north-west with the old gym to left and the dining hall to the right.


Boys May 1937

from Bernard Beal

Boys 1937

Taken in the West Quad looking north-west. Changing rooms to the left and assembly hall to the right.


Boys May 1939

from Bernard Beal

Boys 1939

Taken in the East Quad looking north-west. The gym is at the left and the dining hall to the right.


Boys July 1948

from Raymond Foord

Boys 1948

Taken in front of the School. The main door, Headmaster's study and old library are centre and right. The assembly hall and dining hall recede into the distance to the left.


Boys May 1951

from Roy Challand

Boys 1951

Taken in the West Quad looking north-east with the original assembly hall in the background to the left and old gym to the right.


Boys September 1955

from Jeremy Wheeler

Boys 1955

Taken in the East Quad looking north-west. The old gym is to the left of centre and the dining hall to the right.


Boys July 1961

from Bob Hamblyn

Boys 1961

Taken on the playing field looking north to the new woodwork room. At the extreme left is part of the flint wall to the Dripping Pan on Ham Lane and then the metalwork room. To the right in the background is the staff room with balcony and the roof of the classrooms. The bell tower of the new chapel can be seen above the roofline and the extended roof of the new Art Room. At the extreme right in the distance are the chalk quarries at the cement works.


Boys May 1964

from Mel Tayler

Boys 1964

Taken on the tennis courts looking south-west. At the left Rise Farm can be seen and to the right the various wooden temporary classrooms between the tennis courts and the Ham Lane wall.


Boys May 1966

from John Davey

Boys 1966

Taken on the tennis courts looking south-west. At the left Rise Farm can be seen and to the right the various wooden temporary classrooms between the tennis courts and the Ham Lane wall.


Boys May 1969

from John Davey

Boys 1969

Taken on the tennis courts looking west. At the extreme left there a view over the fields and ditches. Centrally are the wooden classrooms and at the right the metalwork and woodwork rooms with the new gym above.